Bait & Switch (formerly Huck Finn) is a booking service for a fine group of clean, modern fishing/whale watching and tour boats. The crews assist beginners and experienced anglers alike. All boat operators are USCG licensed professionals, and all required safety equipment is provided. Read more about the boats we are currently working with.
Located 25 miles south of San Francisco and 4 miles north of Half Moon Bay, Pillar Point Harbor is a full service marina with a six lane launch ramp, fuel dock, restaurants and a harbor master to assist you.
At Bait & Switch, you can also buy:
- Bait and tackle
- Snacks and drinks
- California fishing and hunting licenses
- Other "fishy" related gifts
How to Prepare
- Dress warmly and in layers.
- Bring lunch, camera and film, sunglasses and sunscreen.
- Seasick? Check with your doctor or pharmacy about medication—it’s a long day if you’re sick.
Provisions, Costs & Payment
- See individual boat pages for their prices and details... view Boats
- Rod/reel rentals are available.
- Tackle kits are available.
- 2012 California one-day license is $14.30. We also sell all year licenses and most associated stamps and report cards. You must bring a government issued ID when purchasing any license now. See the California Department of Fish and Game website for regulations.
- 2012 California Hunting licenses are also available here now.
- We accept credit cards for all transactions.
- Catering services are available for your group.
- Boats can be arranged for the purpose of fishing, nature trips/eco-tours, cruises, parties, Mavericks, or ash scattering.
Credit Card deposit is required on all reservations. Cancellations must be received at least 10 days prior to the reservation date or a 50% fee will be charged. If canceled within 48 hours of the trip your card will be charged the full cost of the trip.
All trips are subject to possible cancellation, at the discretion of the captains, due to ocean weather conditions or other unforeseeable circumstances. No charge will be made if the trip is canceled by the Captain.
Adjustments/refunds will not be given for seasickness or lack of fish as the ocean and fishing are inherently unpredictable. however your Captain will make every effort to ensure that your party has a great experience.
- Rockfish season is open June 1 - December 31, 2012 in waters out to 180 feet north of Pigeon Point.
- Rockfish season is open May 1 - December 31, 2012 in waters out to 240 feet south of Pigeon Point.
- Recreational Dungeness Crab season opens 11/05/11 - 6/30/12.
- 2012 Salmon - The season will be determined in April.
- Humboldt squid and albacore fishing are seasonal
- Mavericks surf contest window is open on 01/01/12. The boats may be available for Maverick watching groups at other times also.
- For the current state regulations and changes go to the California at Department of Fish & Game website. For information on the Federal process and schedule go to the Pacific Fishery Management Council website.
Please keep in mind schedules are tentative. There are changes every once in a while, so it's always a good idea to check in with us if you're interested in going out on a particular day.
"Charter" means one group has reserved the boat exclusively for their group only.
"Open party" means we are available on dates listed for the type of fishing indicated as long as we're not already full.
Please be sure to call, not e-mail, if you need to reach us within 48 hours of a trip!
Pillar Point Harbor Map
Pillar Point Harbor map (PDF)